Recycling out early for Glastonbury Festival
Residents near Glastonbury Festival are being asked to put their recycling out early to ensure smooth collections as the event returns after a year off.
Somerset Waste Partnership (SWP), which manages recycling and rubbish collections, is keen to reassure residents that there are no changes planned during the festival, which runs from Wednesday 26 to Sunday 30 June.
SWP is liaising closely with Somerset Highways to avoid traffic problems for collections around the Festival, most of which take place on Thursdays and Fridays, with weekly recycling and garden waste collected in the week of the event.
SWP managing director Mickey Green is asking for people's support during this year's festival to make sure everything goes to plan and delays are avoided.
He said: "We're keen to ensure that collections run as smoothly as possible during the festival and that any inconvenience to householders is kept to an absolute minimum, so we're asking for people's help this year.
"Putting recycling and bins out the night before (or sorting in advance and taking to a recycle site) can really help the crews start collections earlier, making sure that everyone's recycling and rubbish gets collected when it should."
SWP is giving the following additional tips to keep everything running smoothly:
- Ensure all bin lids are closed with no extra rubbish outside the bin
- Separate recycle box items (without using carrier bags) to speed up pick-ups
- Rinse containers and squash everything except glass and aerosols
- Check for updates on SWP's website and social media sites
If they have time and transport, residents can, of course, visit local recycle sites:
- Frome, open seven days, 9am-6pm weekdays, 9am-4pm Saturday-Sunday.
- Wells, open 9am-6pm Monday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday, 9am-4pm Saturday-Sunday.
- Cheddar and Street, open 9am-6pm Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday, 9am-4pm Saturday-Sunday.
- Somerton, open 9am-6pm Wednesday-Thursday-Friday, 9am-4pm Saturday-Sunday.
- Castle Cary, open 9am-6pm Monday-Tuesday, 9am-4pm Saturday-Sunday.
Residents can find details of collection days, services and recycle sites.
If a collection is missed, it should be reported to council customer services.