Road Closures for Special Events
Road Closures for special events are provided under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 Section 21. These events can vary in size from a small village fete to a large carnival, festival or procession.
In order to hold an event on a public highway a Road Closure Order is required which enables the named signatory to close the named roads for a stated time. This process takes 12 weeks so applicants should ensure their completed application form and supporting information is received at the Council offices in good time. For further information please see the documents below:
There is currently no charge for the making or monitoring of a Road Closure Order. Applications should be sent to Road Closures, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT and must include the following:
- A map showing the road(s) that you wish to close. The map should also be used to indicate the signage that you intend to use (including the position of the signage), the position of all of your marshals and the location of your first aid support.
- A copy of the public liability insurance (minimum £5million) that covers that event.
- A list of contact details for those who hold positions of responsibility within the event organising committee - these details may be made available to any member of public who makes an enquiry with regards to the event.
- A copy of the full risk assessment for the event. This does not have to be submitted with the application form but must be received before a road closure order will be granted.
- A copy of the letter sent to all businesses that will be affected by the road closure for your event. We also require a copy of the list of businesses that you have contacted.
All signs MUST conform to "Traffic Safety Measures and Signs for Road Works & Temporary Situations Act", (Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8).