Link to homepage

 Charges for Pre-Application Advice  Commenced from Monday 1st August 2016

Please follow this link for further details.

Is Permission Required?

Advice on planning permission is available on the Government's website Planning Portal - Permission and it provides a very useful interactive guide for householders requiring advice on the need for planning permission for a proposal.

Informal Advice Service on whether Planning Permission is required

You may apply to the Council for an informal opinion on whether planning permission is required although it is not possible to confirm definitively that a proposal does not need permission. As of 1st August 2016 there is, for certain types of development, a charge for this service.

Where can I find details of Charges?

Details of the charging arrangements can be viewed here: pdf icon Pre-App Charging Schedule (August 2016) [84kb]

 Application Form

If you would like advice on whether permission is needed, please complete the form below and return to us together with the relevant fee (where applicable) and a plan identifying the location and extent of the site. 

Upon receipt of the completed form, we will provide you with:

  • An acknowledgement of the request with the assigned case officer's details within seven days
  • A written response within 28 days

word icon Is Planning Permission Required Form [91kb]


If you would like to establish the likelihood of planning permission being granted for your proposals, you may complete a separate Pre-Application Advice form. Details are available here: Pre Application Advice   Should you wish to seek advice both on the need for permission for your scheme and the likelihood of gaining planning consent, you need only apply for pre-application advice (i.e. not both separately).

Guide to Extending your Home e-book

 In partnership with LABC Publishing, West Somerset,Taunton Deane and Sedgemoor Councils Building Control, have created a Guide to extending your home e-book, which contains useful information on what extension projects need consent and how to apply for it.