EC Approved Food Premises Application
Under EC legislation if your food business processes and sells some types of food using unprocessed products of animal origin e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk or eggs, the business may require EC Approval if you intend sell to other businesses, rather than direct to consumers.
- meat and poultry - whether fresh, frozen or cooked
- meat products such as pies, sausage rolls, faggots, black pudding and bacon
- raw or partially cooked minced meat or meat preparations such as sausages, burgers, marinated raw meat and kebab meat
- fish and fish products such as fish fingers, prawns, lobsters, crabs and crayfish - whether dead or alive
- live bivalve molluscs
- ready meals containing fish or meat
- milk and dairy products such as butter, cream, cheese, yoghurt, ice-cream, etc.
- frogs legs and snails
- rendered animal fats and other animal by products such as gelatine, collagen, stomachs, bladders and intestines
Some premises may be exempt from requiring approval if you meet certain conditions. Understanding the EC Approval process can be difficult therefore if you think you may require approval please contact our food safety team to discuss your business plans so that we can advise you.
Only complete the Application For EC Approval if you have been advised to do so by a food safety officer. As businesses requiring EC Approval have higher risk operations they cannot operate until Food Safety Officers have inspected and given their approval and assigned the business a unique approval mark to be applied to manufactured foods.
EC Approval Application Form [44kb]